Saint Mary of the Angels Church & School
Address1850 North Hermitage Road
OwnerCatholic Archdiocese of Chicago
Property managerSaint Mary of the Angels Parish
Building DescriptionThe current Saint Mary of the Angels Church was dedicated on May 30, 1920. Designed by Henry Schlacks, the structure bears a remarkable resemblance to St. Peter’s Basillica in Rome. It has been acclaimed as one of the finest specimens of Roman Renaissance architecture in the United States. Over the years, additions, alterations, and improvements have been made in the parish complex.
With the construction of the Kennedy Expressway in 1960, a sizable number of families and students left the parish, and, by 1988, the church building was closed and slated for demolition due to deteriorating conditions. At the request of Cardinal Bernardin, then Archbishop of Chicago, the priests of the Prelature of Opus Dei assumed responsibility for the parish in 1991. The church restoration started in 1991 , and was completed by 1999, the 100th anniversary of the parish.
The priests of the Prelature of Opus Dei continue to staff St. Mary of the Angels parish. St. Mary’s is looking forward to another 100 years of serving Chicago!